Thursday, January 27, 2005

Steamworks

One of the cool things about this trip is realizing that mass transit can actually be a good thing. We've had to take the bus, the train, ferrys and of course, "shank's mare". A lot. Mass transit here in Canada is relatively cheap, and it's easy. You see a lot of stuff that you miss when driving around...then when you get in a car, you see all the stuff from a different perspective. Like all the one way streets that don't matter when you are on foot. Hee.

So, we got in to Victoria yesterday afternoon. Bummed around a bit, took some of the pics you see below, and then sacked out for the evening. This morning, we got up and made our breakfast (a banana and half a humongous muffin for me). Karen wanted a shower, so I went off to Starbucks (one of our running jokes is "gee, look at that, a Starbucks!" "Yeah, hon, I didn't know they had those up here..." Seriously guys, they are everywhere. There were more then one intersection in Vancouver that had kittycorner Starbucks. I kid you not...) to get my morning coffee.

On my way back, I went down the street that runs parallel to our hostel's street. And, there was this funky little alleyway with a tattoo shop at the end. Tattoo shop in plain view...ok. But there was this sign for an establishment called "Steamworks" on the wall facing me.



And the hours...that was the weird part. 7pm to 9am. I mean, what would that be? So, curious me goes down the alleyway to this grimy little door next to the tattoo shop...



And it's ajar.



So, curious me looks up the staircase, and starts up the stairs. At the top, there's a giant condom behind a plate glass window, and pictures of very buff and nearly naked men. And I'm starting to get the picture, but the coffee has not quite taken hold. And there's this slightly built guy that comes into view as I come up the stairs...slightly built, slightly greying hair...looks damn tired. Big bags under his eyes.

Me: "Hi there. What kind of establishment is 'Steamworks'?"

Him: "It's a bath house....but we're just closing." [swish]

Oh.

That kind of steam.

I see.

Me: "Thank you!"

[Turns around and saunters casually back down the stairs...wondering how after all these 34 years he could still be so naive...]


1 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

what a great blog. funny story too. finally clicked the link in the email you sent. praying for you and karen.

1/29/2005 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home