Sunday, April 02, 2006

Corfe Castle Part I

When I was in the UK a couple of years ago, I had a religious experience in a pub. A friend (new friend, but friend none the less) was playing with his blues band at a lovely little pub called The Greyhound Inn. At some point during the evening, after having had a couple pints, I went to use the loo (restroom). On my way back to the main room of the pub, I made a wrong turn and ended up on the back patio of the Greyhound. Looming behind the pub in the indigo darkness, was a monstrous shape...and I felt the pull in my gut that happens when there is something magical about to happen.

Here is a shot of the same silhouette I saw that night...during the daytime when we went back a few days later:

The place is called Corfe Castle. If you have any interest in its history you can find it here. The short story is that it was a royal residence that was destroyed by Parliamentary engineers in a fit of democratic zeal. I took three rolls of film there. It was a blast. My friends were *very* patient with me!


Check out how thick the walls are! You can see Corfe Village and the town church in the distance here:


Not only was it a phenomenally picturesque area...but it was also one of the most lovely days we had during the 10 days we were in the UK.


More pictures of the surrounding areas to come!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question about a previous post of yours. It's the one of the wedding pictures of Grace Balmer. Does this Grace Balmer happen to be Grace Helen Balmer, who went to Huron Valley School and then Pioneer High School? The girl I know graduated in 02 I think.

4/04/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

John:

Yes.

3RP

4/05/2006 12:41 AM  
Blogger e said...

wow. castles. cool. pubs. good.

4/08/2006 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home